Around The Block Playwriting Course
Around The Block will be offering a playwriting course: Principles of Playwriting – what they are and how to apply them.
Topics covered will include:The participatory course (students will focus and receive assistance on their own plays) will be taught by Carlos Jerome. The fully accessible location is in Manhattan.
- seven dimensions of a play
- nature, pros and cons of theatre and playwriting as distinct from other art forms
- the audience–play relationship
- theater history
- Comedy, farce, tragedy, drama, dramedy, short and long plays, improv
- characters and relationships
- stage action and spectacle effects
- emotion and empathy
- formatting, rewriting, feedback, getting produced and/or published
The course will meet each week, Saturdays, 10:30 am – 1 pm, for 15 weeks.
Registration fee will be $375.
Following the course, students' plays may be assigned directors and given a public staged reading.
The course welcomes students at all levels of playwriting experience.
To apply, send an email containing your contact info to firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Send no money at this time.)Attach (if you have available):
- a theatrically oriented resume
- a 1 to 5 page segment of a script you have written (if you have never written a script, attach some other writing you have done).